As of 2013, the all-female black metal/crust punk band Gallhammer is on hiatus.
Genre: Experimental brutal death metal
- Some of their songs have breakdowns containing something unusual, such as Gerori playing the trumpet. Hence why I listed their genre as “experimental”.
- I’m not 100% sure the vocalist is called “Gerori”. It’s what I got when I entered the caption of a photo on their Twitter page into Google Translate (“Photos of Live August 11 vocal is Gerori”).
Official YouTube (with example songs + live videos)
But A Thought
Vocalist: Ayaka Hayashi
Genre: Progressive metal
- Ayaka is the only Japanese member of the band. The other three members are from Germany, Israel, and the United States.
- Features both clean and harsh vocals.
Example song (features soft, beautiful portions, melodic death metal/metalcore style portions, and even a Latin verse sung in Spanish!)
A Drop of Joker
Current Vocalist: Eve (second from left)
Former Vocalists: Lim (harsh vocals only) and 73 (clean vocals only)
Genre: Melodic death/electronic metal
- Formerly known as GoDeath; mostly played standard J-Rock/Visual-Kei under this name. Their vocalist during this period was Kou. None of the original members (still all female) remain in the band.
- Features clean and harsh vocals, with some songs having more electronic instrumentals.
Official SoundCloud (with song clips)
I’ve just released my latest mega-compilation in celebration of 50 videos in the series!!
It features the 250 bands showcased in videos 26 - 50.
If you’re interested and have 21 minutes to spare, you could check this out.
Granted, most of the bands in this video aren’t Japanese, but a lot of the bands I’ve featured on this blog, as well as a couple of Japanese bands I haven’t (GallowS and Skull F*ck) are featured here.
There are also a few non-Japanese Asian bands in here (Flower Flesh, Rakasasa, Silent Hell, etc.)
(Two points of interest: the vocalist of Sockweb is like 8 years old and the vocalist of Winds of Genocide is MTF)
Genre: Crossover/thrash metal/grindcore
Genre: Blackened thrash metal
Genre: Melodic death metal
Notes/Trivia: The band has been active since the late ’90s. In that time, they have had at least two male vocalists, including Zen and Loki. U has only been the vocalist since 2012.
Official Facebook (with links to music videos)
Genre: Raw black metal
Notes/Trivia: Yuga also does backing vocals for another black metal band called Crucem, but it is impossible to discern which are the backing vocals, or if she even has vocal parts in the “shortened” versions of the songs.